The 60s were exciting times musically in the San Francisco Bay Area and as a teenager in Marin County—a hop over the Golden Gate Bridge from the celebrated Fillmore Auditorium, Avalon Ballroom, Keystone Corner and other venues—Gary Vogensen had front row access to it all. He learned to play guitar and began hanging out at rehearsal halls where he rubbed shoulders with the musicians of the time. “There was so much excitement around live music at that time… and so many talented musicians around the Bay Area… it was infectious. I learned a lot just hanging out watching people play.” Gary formed several bands and began jamming when and wherever he could.
In the early 70s Vogensen’s career moved forward after a chance meeting and jam session with legendary guitarist Mike Bloomfield. Bloomfield remained Gary’s advocate and mentor. He hired Gary for gigs and recording sessions and introduced him to many important musicians including Frank Zappa, Mark Naftalin, Nick Gravenitas, Norton Buffalo, and Maria Muldaur.
Gary has been playing and singing professionally now for over 40 years, living and working in the North Bay Area and touring throughout the United States, Europe and the Far East with local and national acts including The Elvin Bishop Band, Angela Strehli, Maria Muldaur, Norton Buffalo, Michael Bloomfield, Commander Cody and the Airmen, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Boz Skaggs, Steve Miller, Etta James, Tracy Nelson, Louann Barton, Rosie Flores, Rick Danko, Lloyd Price, Carlene Carter and many others.
Currently Gary plays with Angela Strehli’s “Blues Broads” band which features:
- Angela Strehli “The Queen of Texas Blues”
- Tracy Nelson “Mother Earth”
- Annie Sampson “Stone Ground”
- Dorothy Morrison Edwin Hawkins Singers (writer & singer of “Oh Happy Day”)
Gary’s other projects include:
- A full time teaching practice; “Gary Vogensen Music Studios”. “I’ve been teaching full time here in Petaluma for over 20 years. I love this community and I’m dedicated to making the world a more musical place…”
- Gary’s a skilled recording guitarist on vocals, harmonica & guitar, having recorded albums with: Strehli, Bishop, Cody, Muldaur, New Riders, along with many commercials, songwriter demos and boutique productions.
- Band Teacher at Kenwood School.
- Leader of “GV and The Ramble Band.”
|Don’t Tell Me About Love (2002)|
With Angela Strehli
|Live From Rancho Nicasio (2001)|
With New Riders of the Purple Sage
|Live in Japan (1994)
|Midnight Moonlight (1992)
|Keep on Keepin’ On (1986)
With Austin Delone
|Delone At Last (1991)
With Commander Cody
|Aces High (1990)
With Hearts on Fire
|Listen to my Heart (1989)
With Elvin Bishop
|Is You Is or Is You Ain’t My Baby (1981)|